Thursday, January 6, 2011

Motorola vs. Sony

I wanted to mention something about last night's CES Sony Press Conference and Motorola Press Conference.  I happened to tune into CNet just as Motorola was announcing "the end of waiting".  I'm a domainer okay, that's what I do, so I check the whois and TheEndofWaiting.com is available.  I go to my registrar and begin the registration process.  Meanwhile the DroidBionic announcement comes on.  For some stupid reason I check the whois instead of just assuming the Motorola brains have missed on securing both assets.

As a result of my own hesitation, I miss on Droid Bionic, but secure Android Bionic, which I personally think is better universally over the Motorola "specific" branding.

Anyhow, the point to be made here is...why were any of Atrix4G.com, TheEndofWaiting.com, DroidBioinic.com or AndroidBionic.com domains available?  Why not for the cost of $10 per year make it a mute point?  If their attorney sneezes before they email me about the domain, it will cost $24 to have the suit dry cleaned.  That is only one sneeze.

If anyone at Motorola is listening, contact me at info@dopoma.com > Domain Portfolio Manager.  I specialize in securing virtual assets to protect brand and mark dillusion.

We'll also be rolling out a product DomainPortfolioMonitor.com to monitor your Domain and Trademark usage.

On the contrary, I couldn't find any birdseed on the ground during the CES Sony Press Conference.  Xperia Arc their new phone had its .com taken by someone near the source on December 22.  I am guessing he found a leak.